Keep Your Eye On The Ball
So much happens throughout the working day, that sometimes we lose sight of why we do what we do. I’m sure you’ve experienced these sorts of invisible distractions: Someone wants something from you ASAP, the boss needs a mission critical report, an emergency fire breaks out, somebody calls in sick, friends or co-workers need to chat.
Sure these unplanned things will popup – but what can you do stop it? Here are a few tips:
- Don’t check e-mail every minute – Just twice a day.
- Return calls at scheduled times only.
- Signal to co-workers that you’re busy and can not be bothered.
- Turn off ALL communication devices when before you get in the zone.
- Install tracking software to monitor and remind you to stay on task.
- Write down your goals.
I’ve noticed that my generation has a mild case of A-D-D, so we need constant stimulation to keep us moving. We’re geniuses at getting lots of things done. The problem is focusing. Focusing on the task – and focusing on our goals. The point is to push away the distractions in our daily routines.
What do you have trouble focusing on?